Wednesday 22 February 2012

Mentoring: The problem with 'BUT'

Ever wondered about the impact of your 'BUT'? 
Not as in 'Does your butt look big in this?'... as in 'What effect does saying 'but' have on what you're communicating?' 
The word 'BUT' is a lazy way of saying you disagree with someone. "Yeah I hear what you're saying BUT..." (But = I don't really hear what you're saying at all...)
‘But’ is like a hole in the road.
How about using the word 'AND' instead? Far more seamless, more...elegant. "Yeah I hear what you're saying AND..." (And = I do hear what you're saying, and my opinion is different and can sit alongside yours...)
Sure, use BUT if you want to break rapport, close down conversation or stir up a heated debate. There's a time for that.... And there's also the time now to use cleaner and clearer language. 
Enjoy playing with it, and notice what happens...

No comments:

Post a Comment